Trafalgar Park Arts
Trafalgar Park Arts website
Rupert in his studio at Trafalgar Park
The centre block of Trafalgar was built as a Villa in 1733 to designs by John James of Greenwich. The house is situated high up on the brow of the chalk down with a commanding aspect of the River Avon below.
Front elevation. The North and South wings were added in 1766. Designed by John Wood the Younger.
House plan 1766
The house was originally called Standlynch Park. In 1814 the estate was purchased by the Nation and given to the heirs of Admiral Nelson’s family as a lasting tribute. An act of Parliament required the name of ‘Trafalgar’ to be instated.
Portico entrance designed by Nicholas Rivett in 1766. Rivett took the design for the Portico directly from the Temple of Apollo on Delos, Greece.
30-foot cube Rococo plastered Entrance Hall
South Wing corridor. Restored 2003
South Wing corridor
The Cipriani room. Originally a music room, painted by Cipriani in 1733. Restored in 2000
Old kitchen, South Wing
Pillared entrance to the monumental corridor, North Wing
Monumental Corridor, North wing
North wing, Lady Juliana’s drawing room build 1766 with the ceiling designed by Nicholas Rivett.
North Wing view into Lady Juliana’s drawing room.
Old kitchen, North Wing
Poplar grove below the house on the River Avon.